Sunday, December 27, 2015

I'd Rather Be a Nail Than a Hammer



If nothing else, I'm known to question the status quo.  So, with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel for the title of this post, I'm doing it again.

The current trend is that plate umpires are taught and expected to use the "hammer" on strike calls.  The mechanics are below.


Perfectly fine, but I prefer the "point" and here's why.


I have a degree in computer science, and so I have a bias against ambiguity in language.  For example, in JavaScript (and other languages), the plus sign can be used for addition or concatenation, depending on whether both operands are numeric or at least one of them is a string.  This ambiguity or double-meaning of the operator symbol only causes trouble.  Why not use the period for concatenation?  But I digress…

My point is that I don't like signals having two different meanings, and the "hammer" can mean either a strike or an out call.  Why does this matter?

I mainly umpire youth baseball, so let's consider the young batter who may have just moved up to a level where a dropped third strike allows the batter to become a runner (with first base unoccupied or with two out).  He may be new to the rule and just learning.  Now look at the hammer mechanics again, if used on a dropped third strike.


First he hears the strike call, and then he may look straight back to the umpire and see the hammer, especially if there is a good and deliberate delay between the verbal and signal.  Once he sees the hammer, he may interpret it as an out call, curse his fate, and not run.  Yes, it's his bad, but our signal isn't helping matters.  And yes, the proper mechanics tell us to follow the strike call with a safe sign and a verbal "no catch" or something similar, but by that time the batter would have lost the valuable split second (and mental edge) needed to vacate the batter's box before an easy tag by the catcher.

Now, if the same batter turns to the umpire after a dropped third strike and sees the "point," there's no confusing the signal with an out call, and so he may realize that he's entitled to run even before we give the safe/"no catch" call, and may vacate the batter's box in time to force a throw by the catcher.  And if he doesn't, and the catcher applies a quick tag, I can use the hammer to signal the batter out without it looking like I'm just repeating my strike three call.

When the catcher does catch the third strike, or if first is occupied with less than two out, I can use the point followed by the hammer to call the batter out.

Also, to clarify, when I use the point mechanic, I keep my eyes forward as I point with my right hand toward the dugout area.  I'm not turning my head and facing the dugout while I make my call (as shown in the graphic to the left), which I realize can lead to problems.  And I don't think it can ever be confused with a "did he go?" mechanic on a check swing, where I would use the left hand instead and point directly to the base umpire, not the dugout.  And nobody has given me any grief about using the point, but I just seem to be in the minority of umpires who do.

So, I'm just wondering, why is the point mechanic being phased out?  Your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. For the hammer to be done correctly, the voice and the mechanic should be done at the same time. This helps with any possible ambiguity -- plus it just plain looks better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IMO, Too many guys that use the point rather than a hammer do look where they are pointing rather than concentrate on what's going on in the field and keeping their head focused on that runner(s) on base.
    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the point but as has been mentioned I keep my eyes square to the field unless the bases are empty !

    ReplyDelete